7th Grade Disclosure, 2019-2020, Norma Iglesias
Math 7 Disclosure-keep all year Name__________________________________
We will use Core Connections 2 (CC2) from College Preparatory Mathematics (CPM). Each student has a textbook, tool kit AND access to the ebook. The ebook is the same as the text with links to vocabulary, etools and homework help. Students access the ebook at ebooks.cpm.org using their Google login. Please take a few minutes to get to know the ebook with your student.
Three Pillars of CPM Pedagogy:
- Students learn ideas more deeply when they discuss ideas with classmates.
- Students learn ideas more usefully for other arenas when they learn by attacking problems—ideally from the real world.
- Students learn ideas more permanently when they are required to engage and re-engage with the ideas for months or even years.
- MAKE SENSE of problems and persevere in solving them.
- REASON abstractly and quantitatively.
- CONSTRUCT viable ARGUMENTS and CRITIQUE the reasoning of others.
- MODEL with mathematics.
- Use APPROPRIATE TOOLS strategically.
- Attend to PRECISION.
- Look for and make use of STRUCTURE.
- Look for and EXPRESS REGULARITY in repeated reasoning.
COLLABORATIVE LEARNING EXPECTATIONS
T Together, work to answer questions.
E Explain and give reasons.
A Ask questions and share ideas.
M Members of your team are your first resource.
S Smarter together than apart.
- 1” Binder devoted to this class! (may share 1” or 1.5” with Humanities)
- Lined Paper AND Graph Paper
- Green (or colorful) ballpoint pen for checking
- Highlighter or light marker (for highlighting in Tool Kit, not checking)
- Pencils (sharpened before class) and an eraser
- Pouch to carry materials
- TOOL KIT (provided in class)
- Keep ONE chapter plus all assessments in rings of binder
- FYI-I am not a fan of the trapper keeper.
At home, please have a ruler (both metric and standard), extra lined and graph paper. Clean and restock your binder around the third lesson of the next chapter. Keep a box or folder to store graded homework. Keep ONE chapter plus assessments in binder. Do not throw away work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Each lesson includes both cooperative and individual work. Participation is important.
- When you sit down to do your homework, please spend the first few minutes reflecting upon the day’s classwork. Start your homework on the same paper. End (start) with reading/studying your tool kit.
- SHOW YOUR WORK!! Please show all work neatly. I read process, not answers. Organize your work in a way that both you and I will be able to read easily. Please leave space between problems. When you check your work, please make corrections carefully/thoroughly. Take notes!
- Please write neatly in your tool kit. Your tool kit may be used on tests. Writing neatly will help you to be able to read it. You are always welcome to take extra notes.
- Budget time for homework five days a week.
- Very Important: Mistakes are part of the math process, and a powerful opportunity for learning in a meaningful manner. Please, try, make mistakes, talk about them and learn from them.
Proficiency grade will be determined as follows: 30% assignments/70% assessments.
Please check Compass OFTEN.
Late work is accepted ONE day late for a maximum of a 3 assignments. Late work beyond one day is NOT accepted! Turning work in late, as well as not taking part in the follow up discussion, usually leads to poor performance on assessments. Staying current, finishing each and every assignment to the best of your ability, and checking your work carefully, leads to strong assessment scores, less stress, happiness………….. and a happy teacher.
Please take a very close look at our Standards of Excellence. Parents and students, please chat about what the different scores mean in our three categories.
If you are absent:
- Please check your Google calendar. I post assignments at the beginning of the week but sometimes I change my mind so check daily. You are welcome to send me an email. I might respond, “Please use calendar” or give you other/extra info.
- If you need a resource page, please go to cpm.org or ebooks.cpm.org.
- You must do all of the class work and all of the homework. It is REALLY challenging without the help of your teammates. Please avoid being absent, as it is somewhat painful to make up work. You learn LOTS in class each day. ABSENT WORK IS DUE ON OR BEFORE THE FOLLOWING MONDAY.
- Parents-Please email me if you would like to be added to the class calendar. Otherwise, in order for you to see, you will need your student’s google account open. This includes viewing the calendar on Compass.
Link to scientific and graphing calculator:
Please sign and return AFTER parent and student have viewed cpm.org, ebooks.cpm.org AND checked grades.
Make sure you have clicked on the homework help and the student resource pages.
(s)___________ (p)__________ I have checked grades online using COMPASS.
(s)__________ (p)_________ I know where to find assignments on the Google calendar.
(s)__________ (p) _________ I know where to find the resource pages, technology resources and homework help at cpm.org.
(s)_______________________ I covered my book! (hardback)
KEEP DISCLOSURE IN BINDER ALL YEAR. I KNOW YOU WILL WANT TO READ AGAIN!
STUDENT (sign) Print
PARENT (sign) Print
Parent emails-I will add to Google Calendar.
I am assigned to computer # _________________________.